My Dad gave us this table when we moved into our first apartment in Texas.
Much to his horror (I'm pretty sure), I painted it red last summer. I think it looks awesome in red!
The table has a country feel to it so when we moved into our new house I knew I wanted to do curtains that complimented that look. I'd seen a lot of posts about burlap curtains and although that would give me my country chic look, I just don't really like the loosely woven look of burlap or the smell.
After seeing a friend of mine (who should totally have her own blog, btw) use drop cloths as curtains in her bedroom, I decided that I could achieve the same country chic style I wanted by using drop cloths instead of burlap!
Here's what I did:
First, I purchased two packages of this drop cloth:
![]() |
| Source: Lowe's |
Then, I transformed them into curtains:
Step 1: Wash & Dry per instructions, then Iron (they will be wrinkly)
Step 2: Cut in half lengthwise so you have 2 - 3ft x 9ft panels, per drop cloth
Step 3: Fray the cut edges for a soft look or hem them - I hemmed but it's just a personal preference...both look nice.
Finally, to hang the curtains, I bought four packs of these curtain rings:
| Syrlig Curtain Rings
Source: Ikea
|
I clipped them on the edge of my drop cloth curtains like so....
*I measured so each clip would be the same distance apart on all of my panels, but you can just eye ball it if you're not crazy like me.
...and voila, they are ready to hang!
I've done the math and Ikea's curtain rods are truly the most inexpensive. As long as you like the look, they are the way to go.
Total Cost per Window: ~$28
1 - 6'x9' Canvas Drop Cloth - $10.98
2 - SYRLIG Curtain Ring Packs - $5.98
1 - RACKA Curtain Rod - $2.99
2 - BETYDLIG Curtain Rod Holders - $2.98
1 - VASENTLIG Finial 2 Pack - $4.99
Not bad for curtain rods and curtains.
I have a sewing machine but this project is totally doable without one. You just need a little hemming tape that can be ironed on OR just go for the soft, frayed look!
Now to hang up some art and finish this room!
*Side note: Always hang your curtains close to the ceiling and on the outer edge of the window, if you have the option. It gives the illusion that the room is bigger.















I achieved this look but instead of curtain rods I used conduit which is about 2 dollars for a 10 foot pipe. I cut it down to the size I needed. I used inexpensive drawer pulls for the finishers.
ReplyDelete